[pct-l] (no subject)

Hello everybody, (Hi Dr Nick)

I am a brand new member to this list.  I'm from the East Coast and completed
a thruhike of the AT in 2001.  I guess you can call me Grimace (trail name).
  My wife and I decided that the mountains are too small over here and we
want a taste of what CA has to offer.  We're planning a thruhike of the JMT
this summer.  I've scoured the net and found some good information, but the
two big questions I still have are:

When should we go - we were looking at the end of June / early July.  If we
go then what weather should we prepare for?  Will we still see wildflowers?
Will I die in upper mtn passes covered in snow because i'm just wearing
trailrunners?  Would you recommend a better time?

A good resource - The AT has this great little book (Data Book) with
accurate mileages.  There's water here, a campsite there, a road crossing in
.8 with a PO 5.2 mi E.  In planning my JMT hike, I'd love a similar
resource.  I'd hate to pass a campsite late in the day only to find myself
above treeline for the next 5 miles, or walk by a creek to find it was the
last water for 10 miles etc.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Grimace