[pct-l] Making my own Stove

--
Brad, I don't know if you have received any other comments so, even though
it's kind of a slow response, I'll add my two cents:

Don't try to burn white gas in your alcohol stove unless it's specifically
designed for that fuel.  I assume you're planning to build either my CatStove
(http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html) or one of the soda can
stove variations.  These are the only home-made alcohol stoves I know of that
work really well, and neither operates anything like the WhisperLite gas
stove.

Being curious myself, I have tried burning white gas in one of my stoves.
Also, on the AT I saw a hiker put gas in his soda can stove.  (He had
refilled his fuel bottle in town and the clerk put gas in it instead of
alcohol.)  In both cases, the result was an uncontrollable fire and sooty
mess to clean up.  So, it's a bad idea.  The CatStove design won't blow up,
but it is possible the soda can stoves could pop since they operate by
confining the heated alcohol vapor.

It is now pretty easy to find alcohol stove fuel along the trail in hardware
or camping supply stores, but some alternatives are, 1. fuel line antifreeze
(HEET), or 2. shellac thinner.  In either case, read the label to make sure
it's near 100-percent denatured (methyl) alcohol.  Don't use rubbing alcohol.
 Most of that contains up to 30-percent or more water, and it is usually
isopropyl alcohol.  Isopropyl, even if it is pure, will leave a sooty residue
when it burns.

Good luck!
_____