[pct-l] Popeye's lament

"I yam what I yam."
 I am one of those types who likes to question authority. Why you might ask.
 When I was a student in a local mountaineering class, we were climbing a
peak in the Olympics. I was tethered to a gung ho type rope leader who was
very much like a quarterback on a football team. After summiting we started
to descend and the climb leader specifically told us to gather at a specific
location. There were perhaps 7 rope teams, and Mr. gung ho got tired of
waiting for everyone and decided to glissade the slope before everyone
arrived. I spoke up and said we were supposed to wait. He said there was no
reason to wait. I raised several other issues (safe runout, glissading roped
up, etc.) and the guy finally got exasperated and said and I quote. "I am the
rope leader and you are the student, now just do as you are told." My last
words to him were, "well, if you're sure it is safe."
 To make a long story short, it wasn't safe and we created a couloir
avalanche that dropped us over 2500' including a 50' cliff. I received a 2
inch puncture wound in my abdomen from my ice ax which, thank God, wasn't
strapped to my wrist. I stopped mere inches from plowing into rocks at the
bottom of the slope, after willing myself into unconsciousness. I am now very
familiar with what it means to be in shock and with the concept of guardian
angels
  It changed forever the way I view "just doing as you are told." Sorry about
that, but I am what I am. I went climbing again the very next weekend, and
haven't stopped since.
      Mt St. Helens erupted that day and we got to witness it. I am reminded
of my near death experience every time I see a picture of the eruption. And
most of my climbs are solo so I don't have to deal with disagreements