[pct-l] tarp, tent, or nothing

All three of these are great for the PCT.  I used them
all on my thru-hike in 2000 and will give you why.

>From the border to Kennedy Meadows you can go without
a tent or tarp.  I sleep under the stars almost every
night except a few.  I did have a tent and sent it
home once I reach I-10.  The only problem is the dew
in the morning hours.  Plan on sleeping away from
creeks and sleep higher up.

Kennedy Meadows to Mid Oregon I used a tent.  If I
were to do it again I would go with one of the lighter
tent-tarp designs.  You need protection from those
pesky mosquitos.  Those things will drive you MAD
during the day and out of your mind when you are
trying to sleep at night.  I was happy to have a
reprieve at night.  The draw back to a tent is the
weight issue unless you are with someone and you share
a tent.  My favorite tent is the Slick Rock by The
North Face.  It sleeps 2 and weights in at 4 lbs.

Mid Oregon to the Canadian Border I used a tarp.  I
loved the tarp even with more than half the nights in
rain.  It performed better than I expected and it was
one of the Silnylon tarps from Campmor.  It was 8'x10'
and I configured it with the bat wings.  I still use
it and plan on using it for many more trips to come.

Hope this helps for anyone out there still trying to
decide what to use.

Tony