[pct-l] permit issues

From: "Robert Ellinwood"

> 1) That PCTA-issued permit eliminates the need for any separate permits
elsewhere, correct?

True - if you more or less follow the trail and don't camp in state parks.
Other permits you might, but probably won't, need, are:
1. Mt. Whitney stamp if you're climbing Whitney - but the PCTA can issue
this with your thru permit.
2. San Jacinto State Wilderness Park - but only if you plan on actually
camping in the park - and most don't.
3. Probably some others I'm missing, including some fee areas - but again,
they're small areas and don't need permits for just passing through.

> 2) Campfire permits, if one chooses to get one, are still required for any
open fires and are obtained through one of the National Forest Offices?
Can/should they be obtained elsewhere?

Your USFS wilderness permit (which includes a thru-hiker permit from the
PCTA) includes a campfire permit for the trail. I can't imagine where you
might need a separate campfire permit. If you wanted one, in California they
are jointly issued by USFS, NPS, BLM, and California Division of Forestry
(CDF), so one free annual campfire permit is good anywhere in California.

3) As a non-Californian, I am unclear about the "Adventure Pass" concept -
at least that's how I recall it being referred to.  Currently, I understand
that an Adventure Pass is required for any parking of a vehicle in a NF (and
state?)recreation area. If one might have van or vehicle support on one's
PCT hike, then I assume the driver must have an Adventure Pass, even if the
driver is in or with the vehicle at all times?

For more information, see www.fsadventurepass.org/  .
<I'm sure someone will restart the rant about Adventure Pass is bad, etc.,
probably cut and pasted from the archives of the last rant. :-) >

a) Where does one get these?

See www.fsadventurepass.org/ .

B) If the driver has a Nat'l Parks Golden Age Passport, does that
help    in any way?  Cost less?

>From the above website: "Visitors who visit multiple areas may purchase
their Golden Eagle Passport from a local Forest Service Office and will
receive a free Annual Adventure Pass. In order for holders of Golden Age or
Golden Access Passports to receive a discount, their Passes must be
purchased at a Forest Service Office. Independent vendors are not required
to give a discount."

AsABat