[pct-l] Re: Recipe for trail lasagna

TRAIL LASAGNA AND TRAIL SPAGHETTI

I've travelled the Sierras four times, however I cannot contribute a
terrific amount to this list, as I live way up in Canada. In return for all
the helpful information I have received from the list, I would like to shar=
a good recipe - we all eat the same food as you up here. This takes a bit o=
work ahead of time, but makes meals that taste so good you will wolf them
down. On the rainy West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island, I had six visitors
from Germany fighting over a bowl of lasagna which I shared with them. In
the following I do not mention exact quantities. These depend on how many
and who you are cooking for. You will find these quantities out easily when
you try the recipe at home.

ONE WEEK BEFORE THE HIKE, prepare a nice spaghetti sauce with no large
chunks of veggies. If you cannot do this, then buy a tasty sauce. Dehydrate
the sauce in a dehydrator, or use an oven set to 145 F. To do this in an
oven, line cookie trays with Saran wrap and spread the sauce out about =BC
inch thick. The sauce will turn into very thin and flexible fruit leather
weighing almost nothing, roll it up and refrigerate it until you leave. Als=
one week before the hike, dehydrate a pound or two of lean Hamburg. Use som=
salt. Hamburg dehydrates to =BC original weight or less.

Bring along some cheese and small macaroni.

IN CAMP start boiling your macaroni (Ray Jardine Fans may substitute Corn
Noodles) When its 1/3 boiled, add some dehydrated Hamburg. When it's 2/3
boiled, pour out half or more of the water (Ray Jardine Fans can save the
water for tea). Add some spaghetti leather, broken into small bits. Stir
constantly while re-hydrating. Now you have trail spaghetti over which you
could sprinkle parmesan cheese and fresh pepper. Continue on for trail
lasagna. When you have a thick sauce, add some chunks of cheese but do not
cook so long as to totally mush the cheese and macaroni. Enjoy.