[pct-l] resupply report card

A question that comes up over and over again is: can you thru-hike the PCT
without maildrops? The answer is yes. I've done it (well, most of it) and
so have quite a few others. The biggest problem here is that the Town
Guide is vague and somewhat inaccurate on resuppliability. "Limited,"
"somewhat limited," "moderate"... what do they mean? Can you resupply
or not? The report card below attempts to elucidate. I'm sure that a
number of people have posted similar reports, but it can't help to have
another corroborating (or contradicting) report.

If a town isn't listed, it means that I haven't gone shopping there.
*** DISCLAIMER: All of these resupply points vary depending from year to
year and whether you're at the front or at the rear of the pack. Also,
your own needs and flexibility play a large role in determining what you
feel is "adequate."

KEY
A=great selection; typically a large supermarket
B=you'll find what you need but no more; typically a community grocery
store
C=small grocery store or decent convenience store; you will likely have
to make some compromises in your foodbag
D=small convenience store; you can eke out a resupply here, but you will
have to make major concessions
F=don't even think about it

THE TOWNS
TOWN			GRADE	NOTES
----			-----	-----
Lake Morena		C	yes it's true!
Mt. Laguna		C
Warner Springs		F
Idyllwild		B
Banning			D	icky town
Big Bear City		C
Big Bear Lake		A
Wrightwood		B
Agua Dulce		D	drive(!) to Santa Clarita
Santa Clarita		A
Mojave			A	market is 1mi from "downtown"
Onyx			C	friendly
Kennedy Meadows(S)	C-D-F	depends on how many hikers are around
Lone Pine		B
Independence		F(B)	market under renovation in '02
Vermillion Valley	D	expensive
Reds Meadow		D	expensive
Mammoth Lakes		A
Tuolumne Meadows	C	expensive
Yosemite Valley		C	(Curry Village) expensive
Kennedy Meadows(N)	C	expensive
Echo Lake		C	expensive
Sierra City		D	unpleasant surprise
Quincy			B
Belden			F	2 hitches to Quincy
Old Station		C	friendly
Castella		D	nearby towns are better
Dunsmuir		B	best Thai restaurant in N. California
Mt. Shasta		B
Etna			B	friendly
Seiad Valley		C
Ashland			A	coop + Safeway = resupply heaven
Hyatt Lake		F
Crater Lake		D	(Mazama) expensive
Shelter Cove		F	expensive
Crescent Junction	C