[pct-l] on whitney

On my hike (last year), I was considering skipping Whitney.  It's a 19 mile
side trip, and I live in California (several hours away, but in the same
state at any rate).  Just when I was about to cross it off my itinerary,
Caboose spelled out some very simple reasons to do it.

1.  You're already here.  No driving necessary.  Just detour off the trail
No taking an entire weekend to do it, and spending all that time in the car
just getting there.
2.  You're acclimated.  You're not coming up from sea level, and you're on
the high western side of the mountain (as compared to Whitney Portal down on
the east).
3.  You're in awesome physical shape for such a climb.

(a fourth reason I might add is that you'll never have the opportunity to
use a toilet with such an amazing view )

The hike is easy.  It's also a really cool way to benchmark your
transformation into a hard hiker.  We only took a couple very short breaks
on the way up, mainly to grab a snack or put on a layer of clothing.
Compare that to the weekenders on the trail who were huffing and puffing,
stopping every 150 feet near the top to suck air, when the summit hut was
within sight.

They looked at us as if we were insane when we invited them to join our
dance party (the creation of Caboose and Heavy Pack).  Who were these freaks
who had the energy to camly stroll up the highest mountain in the
continental US, and then start *dancing* to old sould classics?!?  But
that's another story.

On the top, look south, think about what you've accomplished by getting this
far.  Look north, at all the mountains you have to hike through, and grin at
the fact that you're meeting the challenge head-on.

Iron Chef