[pct-l] bear can regulations

I hope we can get the real info on this issue.  It is not a stable
situation, as more bureaucrats turn to the bear can solution every
year.  Simon's guest post explains that thru hikers have the option of
using bear boxes between Forester and Woods Creek to avoid carrying a
can thru the mandatory-can zone, and that you can camp below 9500 in
Yosemite to hike legally can-free, but he doesn't deal with the zone
that now exists in Inyo NF, that is the Ansel Adams Wilderness between
Donohue Pass and Silver Pass (I'm not sure of the southern boundary of
this can-mandatory zone).  Christine Kudija will verify that the fine
for failing to carry a can in this zone is $5000.  We need a
clarification of the laws for this year's crop of thru-hikers.  I have
heard  that Inyo rangers will not give thru-hikers a "bye" on this one.
Marion Davison  "llamalady"