[pct-l] (Guest Post) 2002 Hiker offering advice/help....

In a message dated 1/22/03 3:52:35 PM, ROYROBIN@aol.com writes:

<<  In Yosemite National Park, rangers will give $125 tickets for

> improper food storage. Above 9,500ft a bear proof canister is the only

> approved storage method. But below 9,500ft, where there are more trees,

> counter balance food hanging with 12ft ground clearance is still approved,

> but only as a delaying tactic. You must be prepared to defend your food. So

> camp below 9,500ft in Yosemite, hang your food correctly, and be prepared

> to defend it, and you ARE NOT legally required to use a bear canister.

I can certainly deal with THIS policy. Very reasonable, I must say. Great
detailed report on town stops. Would be invaluable to a 2003 hiker- takes
away a lot of frustrating searches