[pct-l] Using a Tarptent for a Thru hike

--

Mike:
I don't know if it is paranoia, but I think you are worrying too much.
I did not see any snow fall during my entire 2002  PCT through hike, I did =
come through areas with a lot of old snow but though I may have slept surro=
unded by snow I always found bare ground to sleep on.
If you get caught in a snow storm I would suggest looking for natural shelt=
er. Camp under trees, behind rocks, in a cave.
One of the things I enjoy most about hiking is that it puts me in situation=
s where I am forced to make do with what I have on hand.
When I left my cook pot behind I resorted to soaking my food in plastic bag=
s. etc.
You have to decide whether leaving behind a couple of pounds of tent will r=
esult in you a) risking your life b)  a little discomfort c) Will have no n=
oticable effect on your hike.
Satellite
 maurer@earthlink.net wrote:Hi all,

I've been using a home made Tarptent for 2 for quite awhile now, with
tremendous success (thanks Henry!). One thing I have not yet encountered
is snow - if I think I'll be in snow I usually take my Stephensons 3R.
For an upcoming thru hike I was planning on making a tarptent for 1. My
question to the group is whether I should reconsider this in light of
possible issues with snow in the Sierra section or further north. I'm
not worried about rain or wind - I've been in it already and my little
home has shouldered it without issue. I do worry a bit about being
caught in a large snowfall without a shelter that is fully enclosed.

Am I being paranoid?

--
Mike Maurer