[pct-l] Carbon Poles

This message is a MIME encoded email and it includes the same text in
two alternative formats.
--
The poles the Power's used this last summer on the CDT are the Fibraplex po=
les available from http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.asp

The poles save about 50% on the weight of the Easton .340 standard 7075-T9 =
poles. They would save somewhat less on lighter pole sets like the DAC Feat=
herlite or the Easton HS 7178.

The poles are significantly less stiff than the aluminum ones, which means =
the tent deflects further in the wind.  This CAN be a problem, so you shoul=
d carefully consider whether your tent will be usable (and in what conditio=
ns) with softer poles.

The length of the poles matter.  The test poles were 140" long, crossing co=
rner to corner on a two-person little dome.  This is a medium-radius tent d=
esign, and the CF poles may not be suitable for tighter radius designs.

Conclusions: they are softer, probably require greater care, and probably w=
ill not be as durable as the Easton aluminum poles.  But, for the discernin=
g user, as part of an ultralight system, they are a good choice.  If I want=
 to use them in a tighter radius situation, I would have to test them for t=
his.  If I want to use them as the primary poles inside a small tent, I wou=
ld like to get some more testing time on them, but so far it looks promisin=
g.  I would not use them for mountaineering tents, because of the softness =
of the flex.

Tom Jones