[pct-l] Thrill seeking and water caches

--

My solution was to carry a liter for every four miles.  Technique: 1 gallon=
 in my pack (no hip belt), and the remaining balance of water in a 2.5 gall=
on 'suitcase' jug with a spigot.  Given the math, that total amount of wate=
r would take you 56 or so miles including meals.  I think the longest stret=
ch I hiked without water resupply was 68 miles.  I tied a nylon sock around=
 the handle to keep the plastic mold seam from cutting my hands.  From Kenn=
edy Meadows to Campo, I did alot of arm curls.  Alas, I still had T-rex arm=
s.
Ben Armstrong
 Brett Tucker <blisterfree@earthlink.net> wrote:At the risk of preaching to=
 the choir, it might be noted that southbound
thru-hikers often have no choice but to pack all of their own water, since
the publicly-offered water caches generally follow the herd northward only.
Reaching the desert in the height of drought, southbounders learn to go the
extra distance between natural sources, since it is an unavoidable part of
their experience. The same once was true of the northbounders, and while th=
water caches now offer assistance to the growing number of thru-hikers many
of whom desire it, they do not necessarily breed the level of adaptation
among hikers that once occurred.

That may sound like a harsh, Darwinian-type of statement, but I am not
intending to pass judgment on the water caching "scene." It is human nature
to want to give, and it is hikers' nature to accept; the PCT is a growing
family of hikers and townspeople all intent on maximizing the enjoyment of
the experience. The larger the family, the greater the potential for
assistance at times of need. But family or no, there will still be snow in
the Sierras; there will be mosquitoes to swat and creeks to ford; there wil=
be times of loneliness, perhaps, or of boredom, frustration, pain, or
boundless fatigue - or any of these in exquisite combination. No matter the
level of support and kindness a thru-hiker is blessed to receive along the
way, he or she still must walk the way, all the way between distant nations=
,
toiling among the welcoming grandeur and inhospitable faces of a vast and
varied, wild landscape. This is the real cost of a thru-hike, and it drains
not the wallet but sometimes the spirit. Yet for those who persevere, it
lightens the mental load and frees the soul, and by the end of the trail we
are practically floating.

Electing to forego the reliance on water caches is like adding a few extra
pennies onto the cost of the hike. If we save up, then we can surely afford
it. And if we cannot, then we can either borrow or dig deep.

- blisterfree