[pct-l] tents vs. tarps

My name is Brad, I thru-hiked the AT in 2001 and am planning on hiking the
PCT in 2003. I'm new to the list and this is something I've been wondering
about as well.

I carried a GoLite Cave Tarp on the AT, though I spent most nights in
shelters. I am going back and forth between carrying the GoLite Cave and
GoLite Nest (a screen and floor that clips into the tarp - making it into a
light-weight tent). My other option is to hike with my Bibler bivy sack. The
weight difference between the tarp / tent and bivy is one ounce.

While the actual weight difference between the two shelters is negligible, I
could get away with a lighter sleeping bag if I were to hike with the bivy.

On the AT I had no bug protection other DEET and I don't want to do that
again, so either way I want to be enclosed. I've heard bivies being referred
to as "sweat sacks"... But it's so easy to 'set up' (unroll... Get in).

So I keep going back and forth. If anyone has an opinion, one over the other
- let me know.

Thanks,

Brad
"Zebadiah"