[pct-l] trailnames

> Over the years that Dog saw a lot of my girlfriends come and go.One of
them
> as a final shot at me said over her shoulder as she was leaving"If you
were
> only half the man your dog is".

And we thought this list was getting mean! Ouch!

Back in '77, not much thought was given to trail names. In general, everyone
just went by their given names, but a few trail names stuck. Most
appellations were derived from the home of the hiker/group. We had the
Michigan Men, Bay City Bombers, Pennsylvania Jeff (yep, same guy who thru
hiked again in 2000 and completed the triple crown in 2002), Seattle
Spikers, San Diego Truckers, Portland Trailblazers, Minnesota Milers, and
Canucks, among others. Our name (there were three of us hiking together)
came from our association with Kelty Pack, which at the time was the premier
provider of high-quality lightweight backpacking equipment. Dick Kelty
furnished us with prototype packs with flexible external frames (still use
'em to this day) and first-generation Gore-Tex jackets (which didn't work at
all, causing us to sit in our tent sometimes when we should have been out
hiking). In addition, we bought Keltyboots and Kelty windbreakers, and most
of our other equipment and supplies we purchased from the Kelty retail store
in Glendale.

--
Carl
One of the 1977 Kelty Kids