[pct-l] Poorly educated snowpack guesses ( was Re: El Nino Go ssip)

On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 04:12  PM, Ronald Moak wrote:
> Certainly the folk's who ventured in to the Sierra's in El Nino of '98
> didn't find it easy going. Even well after the June 15th date. In 2000
> the
> Sierra was easily passable over a week earlier.

So I arrive in Kennedy Meadows in early June.  I don't suppose there
is Internet access there to check on the snowpack conditions so how do
I know when it is OK to proceed?  Is there a ranger station nearby with
trail condition information?  Do I just start hiking until I run into
the
snow and then make a decision?  Do all the hikers just stare at each
other
until some brave soul starts up the trail? :-)

Radar