[pct-l] glissading and Shasta

In a message dated 1/9/03 11:38:47 AM, calliger@infolane.com writes:

<< We talk about it often as it is one of the few places one
can glissade down several thousand feet in relative
safety. >>

Try the Inter Glacier on Mt. Rainier (4000 feet of glissading)or Mt Adams or
St Helens. All excellent glissades. Any controlled glissade is a good
glissade. The smiles and whoops of joy say it all.
  There's something weird about Shasta. Been there four times and the weather
turned on me each time. The last time a thick fog rolled in. It was getting
late and the woman I was with wanted to turn back. I saw a minor pinnacle and
told her I thought it was the summit, although having been there, I knew for
certain that it wasn't. We ascended it and to this day she thinks she made
the summit. (we were within 200-300-of the summit)I'll never tell her
otherwise. Luckily I took compass readings before the fog rolled in. We met
two guys yelling for help. They were totally disoriented in the fog and were
headed the wrong way down. We trusted that compass and found the route down,
getting to the car at dusk.