[pct-l] Russell Creek

> The
guidebook suggests crossing the creek early in the morning to avoid
afternoon runoff.

I crossed it three times in one day of August this year with no major
consequences - the second and third times (around 4 pm)
I was so mad that I just took
off my socks and tromped through in my trail shoes.     The point is not to
ignore the danger but realize that it does vary during the day and during
the season.    Late in the day early in the season, look out!
Unfortunately there aren't any good campsites in the IMMEDIATE vicinity
of the creek - they are a mile or two away.   You wouldn't want to drink
that water anyway - pretty opaque.

http://pcnst.oakapple.net/photo/or-pct/f/2002-08-17-f06/
still pictures don't do it justice.

I was mad because I'd left my food/medicine/insect repellent pack, brilliant
orange in brilliant sunshine, on a rock along the ridge north of Jefferson
Park where a southbound hiker is first stunned by
the full frontal of Mt Jefferson.
So I got to walk through Jefferson Park three times, so I shouldn't have been
too upset.