[pct-l] My accomplishments

--
In a message dated 1/9/2003 1:01:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
calliger@infolane.com writes:

> Never made it up Shasta yet (0 out of 5 attempts)- storms!
> When did u go?

I climbed late July of '99 about the same time I ran out of money to finish
the PCT.  It was the end of my hiking that year and an awesome way to go out,
although I would have preferred finishing the trail.

We took the Avalanche Gulch route.  We also had beautiful weather and I was
in about the best physical shape I could be after 1300 miles on the trail.
As I had done the entire trail up to that point, I waited for the snow to
soften up and started later than most of the climbers.  No special gear
except for an ice ax, which I only used on the way down, during a sitting
glissade in a pre-established chute.  That had to be one of the most
exhilarating experiences of my life, the human bobsled!  I got thrown out
once and was prepared to self arrest, but landed in a huge sun cup, laughing
out loud and having a good old time.  Jumped right back in and finished the
glissade.

I'm not a real mountaineer, but I was that day.

Sly