[pct-l] Dowse the Flames. Hike and Share your stories.

> Mr. Marc Smallberries, I hope you learned your lesson.

Yes, post about uberlight, or don't offer an opinion.

> So, here's a call for a few more stories on the list.
> Let's hear about some trail magic, favorite moments,
> patience testers, funny happenings, and so forth.

Ok, this wasn't on the PCT, but I think this is a good idea, and want to
join in:

I grew up in Indiana. It's fairly flat, and usually covered with corn or
soybeans. I've always liked the outdoors, walking in the woods, camping and
the like, but had never really seen mountains. I'd been in the Appalachians
in West Virginia, but never really struck me as "mountains", just really
big, rounded hills. After a brif visit on my way back from Alaska, after
years of effort, I finally moved to Seattle in June of 1999. That summer, I
was surrounded by the mountains I'd never seen but always loved. After a
couple of small hikes, including Lake Serene, I decided to hike up to Image
Lake just north of Glacier Peak (and somewhat nearby the PCT) by myself. I
packed up my not-very-comfortable external frame pack, with my not-very-warm
sleeping bag, some cans of beef stew and chili, and drove to thr trailhead.

I camped a few hundred yards up the trail, since it was dark when I arrived,
heated up some chili on my propane-cannister heavy-as-hell stove, and
grabbed some sleep. I awoke a little before 8am, which for me is the
ass-crack of dawn, and headed up the trail. I've heard of culture shock, but
this was more "environment-shock". I'd never seen a forest that half an hour
of walking wouldn't get me to the far side of.. All day, along the wide,
nicely graded trail, I chugged on, snapping occasional pictures when the
forest would relet briefly before closing back in. Soon, I'd chewwed thru
about 13 miles, which for a neophyte hiker who spends the majority of his
time behind a computer screen was extremely signifigant. I felt fine when I
stopped following the trail along the Suiattle River, and headed up toward
Image Lake. I burned past several other hikers, and was starting to get a
bit of ego going. Hell, I even smoked a cigarette on the way up the hill. I
passed some equestrians, who saif that about 500 yards up the trail, a large
brown bear was feasting on the blueberries. Excited to see my first bear
(I've still never seen one in the wild), I continued on.

Somewhere in that 500 yards, still a half mile or so short of the final
trail junction before gaining Image Lake, I hit "the wall". I'd heard of
this with runners, but never really thought it could happen to someone who
was hiking. I simply could not walk another step. I managed to pitch my
cruddy tent, eat a can of cold beef stew, and was asleep 15 minutes later.

I awoke to the sound of rain pittering on my very crappy tent. Got packed
up, and realized that I had a choice. I could push on, walk the last couple
miles of switchbacks.... or I could head down hill and make it back to my
car, and Seattle, before dark, cutting my trip short by a day. I chose the
comfort of a bed, the dryness of my living room, and the call of a warm
pizza. To this day, it's one of the things I regret most. Although I had a
fantastic time, saw some amazing scenery, and enjoyed the nice dry, warm car
ride home, I still regret not pushing on, not making it to the lake.

It may not sound like a fantastic hike to some, but for me it was an
eye-opening experience. While I'd always loved hiking, and wilderness
itself, in theory... this proved to me that it was more than something that
was just a fun weekend, it was something that was important to me deeply,
and even though I fail to reach my goal, I knew that the trying was what was
important. Getting out there, seeing it, experiencing it. Relishing the
trail, even being wet, tired, out of shape, and carying *way* too much
stuff.... it was still where I wanted to be.

I'm not sure if this was the kind of trail magic you were looking for, but
for me, my first real hike always will hold a place in my heart. So much so
that I am considering, if I make it that far, of taking a detour when I
reach that area on the PCT just to hiuke up to Image Lake and finish that
first hike of mine.

Gray