[pct-l] Alum. Crampons for Running Shoes

In a message dated 1/5/03 8:11:47 PM, Montedodge@aol.com writes:

<<  I would be happy to use these up Rainier in July thru
mid-August with New Balance shoes. >>

Must have missed this one! What about the cold? I'm afraid your feet would be
in agonizing pain about 2.a.m with a looong way to day light.  Aluminum
conducts cold just as well as heat and fabric isn't much insulation. The
shoes would almost certainly get soaking wet from hiking in snow without end.
I wore plastic boots this year for the first time (red wings all other times
- but they were shot this time.). I was very leery of them having seen
numerous people get horrible blisters, but I did fine, except for some minor
bruising on the shins. Feet were toasty for the whole trip. But since Rainier
is the only place I can think of that really works for plastic boots, I'll
just rent.