[pct-l] Yee gawdz, get ahold of yourselves! Or, smallberries speaks and ...

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Good comments all. I think the bottom line is experience. The more experience
you have, the more sure you are of yourself and you capabilities and ability
to deal with 'contingencies'. Footwear is a personal preference -- as has been
pointed out in numerous previous posts. Somepeople are hard to fit and the
needs may be different.

Sharing experiences is what I thought this list was all about. No one is a
guru...it's all about the journey. Some are just more experienced than others.
Please just don't let confidence become overconfidence and then let it blossom
into arrogance.

While ultralight and 30 miles/day may be a great deal for some, 15 miles/day and
having a feeling of  'security' in a heavier pack and more varied gear may be
important to others. Personally, I have done 450+ miles with nothing but a
fanny pack, canteen, poncho, knife, matches and a first aid kit -- no food
(didn't have a choice -- everything else burned up). Obviously, I survived.
Can I do it again? Yup. I have that confidence. But I would much rather be 'comfortable'
(my own determination is different from others) and sport a few extra pounds
in my pack.

An extra pound or two is worth the 'security' and 'comfort' I like to have
when I am out. Those levels of security and comfort are arbitrary and personal
and I would never expect anyone else to think they were the standard to be
adopted and followed by others.

Debate is great and I think it promotes reasonable thinking and generates
good, solid solutions. But it should never be personal. No one is perfect and
knows everything. Sharing experiences, ideas, hope, deams -- great. Personal
attacks are just not productive or constructive. Been there -- done that.

Just my humble opinion. -- Tim

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.[1]