[pct-l] sun shade ideas, please

--
My umbrella attaches directly to my Mountainsmith Auspex pack, just behind =
my spine and allows free-hand walking. My marvelous wife designed the mount=
ing. We've gone through a few iterations as I moved from one pack to anothe=
r. Tried mounting to a shoulder strap but never could make it stable enough=
. I also tried the GoLite umbrella this summer in the desert section F of t=
he PCT (Mojave to Walker Pass). The wind gusts peeled the fabric - which is=
 wisely designed to be removed and replaced - like a grape, breaking three =
of the ridiculously unsound nylon support arms in the process. Since they s=
it in nylon or plastic mounts, once broken they can't be fixed. I went back=
 to my home-modified umbrella with the steel frame (13 oz vs 9 oz GoLite) a=
nd had no further problems.

A couple of suggestions. (1) Look closely at the "wind-proof" umbrellas. Th=
ey have a large hole in the top of the umbrella that is itself covered by a=
nother piece of fabric larger than the hole and anchored to the fabric of t=
he umbrella in several places. This allows wind gusting into the umbrella c=
anopy to flow through while keeping all but the worst wind-blown rain out. =
(2) try using material from one of those larger two-sided space blankets to=
 go from your pack over your head. They are mylar on one side and a bright =
blue or orange layer on the other. They're heavy - 12 oz - and not really l=
arge enough to use as a tarp in bad conditions, but they make great ground =
cloths and solar shields in the desert sections. Again this summer, we spen=
t many long hot daylight hours under one of those suspended from a convenie=
nt Joshua tree and our trekking poles. Better yet, use #2 and incorporate t=
he wind-proofing idea in #1.

It does get hot out there in the sand, even WITH a solar shield. Next stop,=
 mylar boot soles? Air conditioned boots? (don't laugh; heated socks alread=
y exist).

Wandering Bob