[pct-l] RE: Random PCT Questions

In 2002, I had a passport crossing back into the US from Canada and had no
trouble.  The other two in the car with only driver's licenses got the thir=
degree.  So, I guess the answer is =91no=92 you don=92t NEED a passport...

As my hiking pal Yogi says, "Pack weight is about fear."  It's as simple as
that.  If you are not afraid of getting cold, take less.  When it was near
snowing just north of Mt. Baden-Powell (S.CA), I was mighty glad I had my w=
arm
jacket and other warm clothes.  That was only one day out of 35 in Southern
California that I needed my warm jacket, and I was happy to have carried it=
 the
whole way.  I'd carry it again.  (I did have other warm layers.)  I wouldn'=
take my warmest gloves again for Southern California though... Hindsight to=
ld me
that in 2002 I could have sent my warm jacket ahead from Tahoe to Ashland, =
but,
again, I=92m glad I had it with me.  I can=92t predict the weather and the
terrain/climate was new to me.

I used one sleeping bag for the whole trip: a Western Mountaineering Ultral=
ite.
I loved it.  It's rated to 25 degrees and was plenty warm.  I slept out und=
er
the stars most nights. I=92d throw on some extra clothes if I needed to, wh=
ich I
rarely did. There were sections when I could have gotten by with a lighter =
bag,
but the 12 ounces were not worth the $$.
Jardine=92s philosophy that you should take a bag that=92s light enough to =
keep you
warm for all but the coldest nights is a good one for me.

If it were looking like a wet year, I might consider switching from a down =
bag
to a synthetic bag somewhere in WA or OR, but the realities of weight and v=
olume
of a synthetic bag might just motivate me to be more careful with my down b=
ag
instead of making the trade off.

I have not seen alcohol stove falter under any conditions.  If I took a can=
ister
stove (which I would not on a thru-hike), I know there are considerations a=
bout
altitude and temperature.  I think mixed canister fuels work better under
extreme conditions.  I know the details are buried in the archives of
backpackinglight (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackingLight/).

I think the flips (because of high snow) happen at Kennedy Meadows.  It=92s=
 much
easier to get to and from the Mojave/Tehachapi areas, so that might be a be=
tter
place to make a decision.  The southern KM is in the
mid