[pct-l] To pay or not to pay

> The way private owners' insurance companies would
solve the problem would be to erect a fence around it to keep you and me
out. That's right before they clearcut it, level it, and put in a housing
tract.

This is already evident on the PCT.   It avoids the Pacific Crest over
almost all the land owned by the Tejon Ranch real estate development company.
They've got big plans, and public access isn't part of it.    In this
case there's nothing to clearcut - a ranch was there before the USFS
existed - but they provide a model of what modern MBA's do with real
estate assets.    The USFS could have condemned a right of way for the
PCT I suppose but I bet the company's lawyers are better connected and funded.
Think about this, class of 2003, as you hike along the LA aqueduct in
May.