From: <CMountainDave@aol.com>
To: <pct-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 11:19 AM
Subject: [pct-l] search costs

I think that GPS technology is the answer to to reduce the costs of search
and rescue, because it would minimize the cost of the search. Surely they
can
come up with some sort of device the size of a credit card that could be
carried by anyone out in the woods and be activated when the need arises, by
either the looker (optional?) or the lookee . It would be completely
unobtrusive to the wilderness experience. No more guessing where someone is
when someone is overdue. I'd bet most people would gladly carry such a
device
if issued with a permit for free, and I'd bet volunteer rescue services
would
gladly monitor such a system. Techno geeks have at it!