[pct-l] Re: Electronics on the trail.

--

Cupcake,
I have a Palm m105, but I think I'll use the TM-20 for journalling and read=
ing email.  On your web site you ask if there is any way to email-update a =
journal.  I had the exact same idea.  I don't know if there's a custom prog=
ram you can install on your web site, but I just spend an hour or two setti=
ng up a group at Yahoo! Groups to do pretty much just that.  I wasn't the f=
irst one with the idea.  There's at least two AT hikers who did their journ=
alling on Yahoo! Groups, but I might be one of the only people who plan to =
update it right from my TM-20!
T_Hike/messages and join the group.  You may need to set up a Yahoo account=
 if you haven't already, but joining the group is immediate.  I think he st=
ill had someone transcribe his journals here (probably because he didn't kn=
ow about trailjournals.com, or didn't want anything fancy).
I will try to have someone update my trailjournals.com journal as well, but=
 that can be done once a week or so, whereas the Yahoo! Group is nearly ins=
tantaneous.  I tested it, and it works.  I had to tweak a few of the settin=
gs to get it to work, and to prevent spam getting posted.  Mine is set up s=
o that only members can post messages, and I am the only member.  I made it=
 restricted so that I have to approve new members personally, which will pr=
event spamming.
On my TM20, I set up an email group called 'journal'.  In it, I will have t=
he address of my Yahoo! Group, plus friends and family that wish to get upd=
ates as soon as possible.  Other people I can just send an invitation to th=
e group, so they don't get bombarded with my emails from the trail.
Sorry for running on, I just thought this approach might be of interest to =
other TM20 users (or other PocketMail users).
By the way, I'd been reading your journals a few weeks ago, as well as Yogi=
's at trailjournals.com  -- not sure how I missed the Palm information.
Phoenix
 Cupcake <john@frozenpoodle.com> wrote: I used a Palm on my 2002 thru-hike.=
 I had lots of good information on it. The
system worked well until, uh, it didn't work. I dropped my Palm and it took=
while to get it replaced.
I wish I had the PCT Guidebooks and the Data Book in digital format on my P=
alm
so I could reference and SEARCH.
I discuss some aspects of having a Palm on the trail on my site:
http://www.cupcakewalk.com/journal/system.html.
Cupcake
PCT 2002

Christopher Van Loon