[pct-l] ? forest service maps ?

First of all, someone off-list kindly explained to me that I simply
misunderstood the Sembs' notation reference system in their book. They are
usuing some version of USFS visitor maps. (I think.)

Anyway, as to which type of map is most useful, one must first specify what the
use is. USGS topo maps are great for the topography, but other features
including trails may be way out of date, missing, or inacurate. USFS maps seems
to have more current trail location. Also the wide area covered helps one figure
out to get where one wants to get, whether it is a remote trailhead or setting
up a water cache.

Then there are the AAA maps. Also useful for finding routes and planning your
route to / from trailheads.

Then  there is the GPS unit which can also help one locate inconspicous
junctions of PCT (or other trail) with the road. Can also help one relocate the
water cache when coming along the trail if you set a waypoint way back when you
placed the cache.

Finally there is dead reckoning -- which may work, or you may wind up dead <g>.

So here's a New Year's toast to you all no matter what map you use.

John