[pct-l] An early start.

--
Dear tsimon,

You write:
> Say I want to start in mid March in Campo and head north for a few
> hundred mile trip, would that be possible? Would I be shut down from lack
> of
> water?  Would deep snow in the San Gorgonio's stop me?

In a normal year (huh? What the hell is normal in Sth Calif?) a mid March
start is possible depending upon the snow in the Laguna's, San Jacinto's, San
Bernardino's and San Gabriel Mountains.  You will normally find plenty of
water as March is one of the wettest months in Sth Calif.  So you will get
rained on and wind is normally high at that time whenever a storm front rolls
through.  You can get marvelous weather also, as is possible at just about
any time of the year in Sth Calif.  You can also get snowed on on Mt. Laguna,
San Jacinto and points north.

 It's mostly that I > think being in the desert in the Spring would be
> fantastic.

Check with us local Sth Californians in early March to see what the
conditions look like.  If a ton of snow is still around or falling then hold
off.

Spring in the desert is fantastic but very difficult to time for the best
flowers.  Last El Nino I happened to plan a trip out to dig some fossils and
came back with yellow pollen and yellow insects coating the front of my car.
The flowers were unbelievable.

Good luck and have fun.

Strider