[pct-l] Stoves and night hiking

--
Frank Kroger writes:

> But I would suggest a heat proof jar as when I ran into campers who made me
> some hot water the jar shrivilled(sp?) up.

At the 2001 ADZPCTKO a couple designed and constructed, on-site, an ultra
light, hot water capable, insulated, cup.  They made it out of a plastic
water bottle cut off and then wrapped with a piece of Styrofoam cup and held
on with, of course, duct tape.  The first time that they put hot-near boiling
water in it, it shriveled up also.  They found, however, that once shriveled
it would retain its shape thereafter when exposed to heat, so this is a one
time shrivel effect.  Except, I imagine, that it might shrivel a bit more if
significantly hotter water is introduced to it after the initial shrivel. So
pre-shrivel your container at home and then you wont have any problem later
on.

This seems to be contrary to other things that shrivel when exposed to cold!
;-)

Your shrivelling may vary,

Strider