[pct-l] Stoves and night hiking

On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 05:32  PM, Paul Schilke wrote:
> What are the percentages of people who used alcohol stoves vs white
> gas vs canister stoves in their thru-hike?  What kind of success or
> lack there of did they have?
I can't give any hard numbers, but this year on the AT
after a couple months I would guess the ratio was something
like:
	alcohol: 	60%
	canister:	30%
	other:       10%

I noticed that folks who started with canister stoves
(butane/propane usually with the Pocket Rocket burner)
sticked with them the entire way.  White gas folks, for
the most, part switched to alcohol or canister.

In talking with some of the outfitters this year I think the use
of white gas continues to drop but canister use is growing
faster than alcohol which is also still growing in use.

For what it is worth, I used the Pocket Rocket and see no
reason to switch.

Radar
AT-2002: www.trailjournals.com/gwright
PCT-2004: ?