[pct-l] RE: Bikes on the PCT

In 99 I noticed that the majority of the PCT did not have fresh bicycle
tracks on it.

In 2001, I noticed that the majority of the trail did have fresh bicycle
tracks(and damage).

In 2001, I saw more tracks and recent damage from bicycles than I did from
horses.  Where the horse use was heavy the damage also was heavy, but the
bicycle use had increased dramatically more than horse use had.  It was not
uncommon to see fresh tire ruts, and see no recent hoof prints.  I did not
do Oregon in 2001, which has heavy horses use in that area, so can not
comment on it.

Personally, I think that bicycles do  much pyschological damage to a
wildernesss experience(Bicylcist on the San Felipe traverse: "why would you
walk this anyway").  And as a lone female I am very uneasy of cyclist on
the PCT, not only with the attitude, but with the vulnerability to a slower
hiker of crime by easy in, easy out access.( the above mentioned cyclist
had a very large gun strapped to his waist and an arrogance to match)

Joanne