[pct-l] Section-hiking the PCT in one year?

So much depends on how much time you can be on the trail. One day, a week, a
month? The trail is intersected by roads all over and as long as you can get
rides to the start and finish of sections, I don't know why you can't do the
trail. People hitch, there are busses, etc.

Another issue is whether you want to "hike with the through hikers". Thus, hike
when others are most likely to be on the trail. It is really great to go in the
same direction with others. Also, do you want to experience spring in the High
Sierras or do you want to avoid the snow and high water in streams.

Having said that:
 Desert - it is hot in Southern California and water is always a problem. Going
in early spring (late April/May) would allow you to take advantage of water
caches Trail Angels are putting out. I think that would be the best time there.

>From Kennedy Meadows to Donner Summit is about a month - and can be made in
sections. If you go in August you will miss the mosquitos, snow, and water. In
October, you could easily get snow.

July and August in Oregon and Washington can also mean some mosquitos, but you
can get through. Earlier, there may be high snow. In September, rain can fall.
And in October, count on it. But, if you go in late September/October you get
incredible leaf color. If you go earlier, you might get flowers. Both are nice.

The hike is worth your time. And lots of people do section hikes.
--
Marshall Karon
Portland, OR