[pct-l] Bears

In a message dated 11/4/02 1:49:05 PM, ted.nelson@zurichlifeus.com writes:

<< Has
anyone seen a grizzly on the PCT?  >>

Yes, I have. It was in the Pasayten wilderness (1999) just about 10 miles
south of the border. She was with 2 cubs about 200 meters downhill. She was
quite aware of our presence, staring intently at us for some time before they
sauntered out of sight and we continued on. They were there for the berries
and were quite full, I'm sure. The staring was a characteristic that set this
bear apart (besides the shoulder hump). Black bears don't seem to do that
when you see them on the trail: they either run away or are quite rude in
refusing to acknowledge your presence