[pct-l] Alcohol Lantern Design

My wife and I stayed in a Forest Service rental lookout
a couple of years ago that had built-in LPG lighting.
The feature of the lights that was interesting was the
mantles.. they appeared to be made of a very fine wire
mesh, and were rigid.  I wonder if such a mantle could
be placed over an alcohol flame to furnish light.  My
guess is that the wire was platinum, or some other
material with a very high melting point.

I have no idea where these rigid mantles can be obtained.
I did a cursory web search, but turned up only the
standard fabric variety.

. .  Kurt

Kurt P. Herzog
Grants Pass, OR 97526