[pct-l] A Short AT Trail Report, etc.

This summer's adventure was a great experience!  I thruhiked the AT starting
at Springer Mountain, GA April 8th and finishing on Katahdin Sept. 7th.

Why would one who has hiked the PCT want to do the AT?  After all, the AT is
not nearly as much a wilderness experience (except in a few wonderful
sections) as the PCT, the trail and weather conditions are often poor, and
you meet an awful lot of hikers including many who are ill-prepared to hike
any distance.

However, the AT is the Grand-daddy of our scenic trails, perhaps the
best-known long trail in the world.  What it may lack in remoteness and
scenery, it more than makes up in historic and social experience.  Walking
through some of the Civil War sites that I'd only read about really moved me.
 And the nice thing about hiking with all those people is, you make a lot of
friends!

Since returning, I've attended both the ALDHA-W meeting in Wenatchee, WA, and
the ALDHA gathering in Athens, WV.  I enjoyed meeting or renewing
acquaintences with so many regular PCT listers at both get-togethers.

And, best of all, I'm now "officially" a thruhiker!  By my definition, that
means I hiked the trail from end to end in one hiking season with pack (no
slack-packing, no flip-flopping to make a section easier, no yellow-blazing).
 No, I didn't walk past every white blaze, quite, but when I chose to take an
alternate route, I did it on foot, with pack, every step.

Okay, that may not be your definition of a thruhike, and that's all right
with me.  It's certainly not the Appalachian Trail Conference's definition,
either.

I know of several hikers who took various shortcuts and still consider
themselves thruhikers.  That's all right by me, too.  They hiked their hike
and are feeling really good about having accomplished something they were not
sure they could do.  Congratulations to them!

At the ALDHA Gathering, the people who support the trail but have not yet
hiked it are introduced as "Dreamers."  It would be very much out of line for
me to nit-pick the success of anyone who has realized his dream of hiking on
our long trails.

I'm also pleased to report that my CatStove served me well for the whole
152-day hike and is ready for the next adventure.  I think that will be a
snow-camping trip into  the Sierra this winter, and perhaps a winter hike in
the Washington Cascades with Mad Monte as well.

It's good to be back reading the PCT list and hearing about the adventures of
the Class of '02.  My "AT vs. PCT" and "Thuhiker" comments are just my
opinion, of course.  No need to start your blowtorches on these well-hashed
subjects unless you have nothing better to do.  -- TrailDad