[pct-l] Nut Butter Carrying System-follow up

Thanks for your interest in my Nut Butter Carrying System.  I developed a .7
oz system for my thru-hike of the PCT using baby bottle parts and liners.  I
got a Photon as a prize at the ADZPCTKO for my efforts.

The NBCS pretty much worked for a thru-hike, and I'd definitely use it for
short trips.  The biggest hassle was returning the shipping portion back to
my Dad who was coordinating my resupplies.  Post offices don't keep
thru-hiker hours, so many times I had to go through my resupply quickly so
that I could turn around and send shipping parts home.  Sometimes, I'd just
have to carry them to the next town stop with outgoing mail.  Luckily, the
parts are light.

The baby bottle liner split a couple of times on the trail, most notably
after a failed rock bear hang.  The system never failed during shipping.

I always kept the system in a zip top bag to keep the oils isolated and to
keep the almond butter contained should it want to come out.  When the
system failed, which I would say was probably 4 or 5 times on a 5-month
trip, it was a big mess in the bag.  Otherwise it let me dispense almond
butter fairly easily AND NEATLY.  It was nice to be able to throw out the
dirtiest part, the liner, and just have small plastic parts to clean.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, or want to give it a try, search
the archive for NBCS or send me a note offline. (The PCT-l archive seems to
have a hole in it from Feb to June of this year.  My postings were in March
or April... If you are part of Backpackinglight, I know it's on there too.)

John B./Cupcake
http://www.cupcakewalk.com