[pct-l] Esbit Fuel Availability on PCT

--
Neil:

The bad news:  I carried an Esbit from Yosemite NP to Castella this summer =
and never once did I see Esbit tablets on a store shelf. That includes Old =
Station, which has about everything a hiker could ask for. In all my years =
on the PCT, I have never seen Esbit tablets on any store shelf; it's hard e=
nough to find white gas in some locals, let alone the little propane/butane=
 cylinders. In fact, Esbit itself ran into a supply problem this spring tha=
t made availability even from major internet sources difficult. Therefore, =
I suggest that you (1) order in bulk - I bought 15 boxes of 12@ - well in a=
dvance and (2) ship them to yourself along the trail as needed.

The good news!  The tablets only weight 0.5 ounces each so you can easily c=
arry a 10 day supply easily and thereby reduce the number of mail drops you=
'll need. One half tablet will easily boil 16 ounces of cold water, so 1 ta=
blet (1/2 oz) made one day's fuel supply figuring 1/2 tab each for breakfas=
t and dinner. Ten days =3D 10 tablets + 1 spare tablet for "emergencies" =
=3D 5.5 oz.

You will love the Esbit stove. Just be sure you have a GOOD windscreen with=
 you.

Happy trails,

Wandering Bob