[pct-l] Water Repellents for Sleeping Bags

Hey Switchback,

During my 2000 mile thru-hike attempt this summer, that's
the method I used.

Using my home-made polarguard 3D blanket, (as inspired by
Ray Jardine, a REAL contributer to long distance hikers)
I would slip the silk bag liner over me and my blanket. The
primary reason for doing this was to help keep the blanket
tucked around me, plus the added warmth. The liner was NOT
treated with any water proofing.

It worked great!

The downside is condensation. Sleeping under the stars, without
tarp, tent or whatever, your body still creates moisture. Usually,
the liner will be wet/damp/frozen (as it did on 5/3 at Mt. Laguna when the temp dropped to 22F) only on the top, due to heat rising.

Your body moisture has to go somewhere, be it the ceiling of a
tarp/tent or inside of a liner.

My blanket and liner weighed in at 33oz. I used this set-up for
the entire trip.

Scott Parks

--

Actually, this is a question about spraying the Cocoon Silk Travel Sheet (6.3
oz., REI #618375).  I had some extra time on my hands and was thinking too

The deal is that I need to put some water repellent on the silk if I am ever
hiding under my tarp during rain.  Has anyone ever tried to spray silk for
something like this?

I am also looking at the Feathered Friends Chickadee.

Thanks, Switchback

Tired of all the SPAM in your inbox? Switch to LYCOS MAIL PLUS