[pct-l] Tarp advice

Hi Bob,

I've just bought a new down bag. I've considered buying a synthetic
bag, but decided against it because I could not find one with enough
of a temperature range that did not weigh too much.

My life and hiking partner has an ultimate lightweight bag from
Hagl=F6fs, which weighs 500 grams and goes down to 5 degrees celsius.
My bag is still comfy at -2 celsius and weighs 760 grams.

I've chosen it also because it is roomy for my big 'mother earth'
hips. Plus it has a shell made out of Pertex 627. This is an almost
waterproof coating. Although coatings are less durable than laminates
or cloth like Epic, it should still last a long time. A bag just does
not suffer the extreme friction a jacket beneath a backpack does.

We use the Henry Shires tarptent and love it. And yes, it has some
condensation. When I roll over at night, my hips touch the tarp wall
from time to time and so the bag does get a little wet. I don't worry
about it anymore.

By the way, my old down bag has been washed twice and is still going
strong, but at 1300 grams, I found it to be just too heavy.

Looking forward to a 'how to pitch a tarp' post.

Groetjes,
Saskia

--
Saskia Daru