[pct-l] Re: Gear Tradeoff -- rainwear

At 09:28 AM 9/27/02, David hiking PCNST in bits wrote:
>Along the same lines, has anybody ever found a clothing system that
>keeps them really dry when hiking up steep hills in heavy rain/snow with a
>heavy pack?

Just assume it is 100% humidity, and NOT raining.
Now assume you are NOT wearing your rain gear, but are still hiking up a
steep hill with a heavy pack.
Are you going to stay dry, or are you going to be dripping sweat?

I still get soaked inside my  PTFE (Gortex) rainwear while sweating
heavily, but if I rest, my clothes slowly dry out inside the shell...
--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com