[pct-l] Immigration and Customs at the Border of Canada

Almost no one arrives in Canada on the exact day they specified on the entry
permit. And doubtless the Customs and Immigration Department knows this, or
are now finding out in a hurry. So I would suspect that this is more of a
research project than anything. I, for one, find it rather disconcerting,
the idea of ending a 2600 mile journey through the woods by submitting
involuntarily to Big Brother.

What happens if they discover that a certain percentage of hikers are
passing by without the requisite documentation? Will they turn these hikers
around, foodless though they may be? And what happens next year - perhaps
northbounders will be greeted with a border fence after all.

Of course, with all the experience and hardiness acquired by that point in
the journey, most anyone could manage an 8 mile x-country trek to Manning.
Besides, we're good for the Canadian economy.

Trails, like nations, are political. In the year 2002, we either accept
their policies or get the hell out of the way.

- blisterfree