[pct-l] Re: Strength of ultralight gear

I have these ultralight items that made last year's 5
months on the PCT and JMT (about 1,960 miles, thus
completing it), which also made my entire AT hike this
year:

My rain/wind suit (ultralight made of silnylon, won
that prize at the kick off party)
and
my two photon lights (the white one was my prize)
a watch
some silnylon ditty bags

This year I made a silnylon pack, and it is still
fine, after 5 months on the AT. The soda can stove
Rainmaker made me is in perfect condition, the tape
not even Thinking about moving. Used it every night
for the entire AT. Razor gram weenie knife, gram
weenie sandles (made from inserts), silnylon water
bottle carriers. Hummm. Guess my gear is simple and I
can fix anything that goes wrong with it. Unlike these
fancy tents with shock corded poles and zippers, just
a needle and thread, some electrical tape and super
glue will do the job. Oh yeah, and a match to heat
seal any tears.

So my point? Ultralight gear can be strong. It is
often expensive because it is handcrafted, and the
fabric is costly. I design gear to be ultralight with
out the problems that can't be fixed on trail.

I think the falacy of heavy meaning strong or durable
comes from experiences in the Contrived World. Heavy
meaning strong applies to trucks and furniture.
Neither of which do I plan to haul around on my back,
up every hill, across every snow field, fording
glacier melts, in wind and storm.

Anyways, why do manufacturers offer us only heavy
stuff? Not sure...cause someone will buy it? I think
thats why so many long distance hikers went into
making their own gear. Jardine was ahead of the trend,
wasn't he? I him credit for the encouragement to make
my own gear.

Brawny

=====
http://www.trailquest.net
---offering a wealth of information about the AT, PCT and CDT

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute