[pct-l] Camp Shoes

Last summer a friend of mine hike the PCT. She had taken a pair of Tevas wi=
th her as camp shoes and she hiked in trail runners (her boyfriend had beli=
ttled her for the extra weight). During the hike her feet for some reason s=
welled up to were she could not wear her trail runners. She finished most o=
f her hike in her Tevas with no ill effect.

=09-----Original Message-----
=09From: Reynolds, WT [mailto:reynolds@iLAN.com]
=09Sent: Tue 9/3/2002 10:43 AM
=09To: 'David hiking PCNST in bits'; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
=09Cc:
=09Subject: [pct-l] Camp Shoes

=09I could hike in a pair of lightweight running flats. I suspect that I co=
uld
=09hike further than I could in Teva sandals but I suspect Teva affectionad=
os
=09could hike further in Tevas than I could.

=09The advantages of Tevas and Aquasox is that you can cross a stream, gett=
ing
=09them wet, yet still have relatively dry camp shoes. The Running Flats do=
 not
=09dry quickly.

=09The advantages of running flats is that they are 12-14 ounces lighter th=
an
=09Tevas and one hell of a lot more comfortable than Aquasox to hike in.

=09-----Original Message-----
=09From: David hiking PCNST in bits [mailto:pcnst@oakapple.net]
=09Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 5:43 PM
=09To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
=09Subject: Re: [pct-l] Lightweight Section Hike Questions

=09> > like to take my Teva sandals, but they weigh about 24 oz. Is there a=
=09> > alternative?

=09The deciding factor for me is I COULD hike in my tevas, with a pair of
=09heavy socks.     I don't think I could hike very far in any lightweight
=09alternative - I've had no luck even with imitation Tevas.    If a hiker
=09is going to have a backup system for anything, it would seem to be his
=09footwear.    And Tevas are good for stream crossings.    So I don't coun=
=09the weight too much against them.   Ultralighters mileage may vary.

=09PCT-L mailing list
=09PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net