[pct-l] Successful JMT Hike!!

Just thought I might write a quick hike report.... returned
from an incredible 13 day trip on the JMT.
I expected a super hike in a special place, but what I
experienced exceeded my expectations and was beyond
spectacular!  My 2 partners and myself began in Yosemite
Valley and hiked 150 miles which included leaving the JMT
at the Bishop Pass Trail. I am already planning next year's
finish at Whitney. And IMHO I can not imagine any place in
this country that could possibly be more beautiful...and I
have hiked the Wind River Range, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, the
Olympic Peninsula, Vancouver Island,Acadia Nat'l Park, been
all over the Smokies and NC and TN, and hiked the entire
Appalachian Trail(where IMHO the White Mountains and Baxter
State Park are pretty incredible and are without a doubt
the very best of the eastern U.S).  I am headed in early
October for Glacier Nat'l Park, so I guess I could change
my mind, but I doubt it!  There were a few days where we
were so overwhelmed by the scenery  all day long, that we
begged for it to stop being so pretty.  We took 18 rolls of
film, so lots of memories will be enjoyed over and over.
LeConte Canyon was probably the biggest surprise, but out
of 150 miles, I would probably only consider the first few
miles of the climbs out of Red Meadows and Vermillion
Valley to be less than spectacular. Even the long descent
into Red Meadows was great due to the incredible trees.

Things went very well.  THe only problems even encountered
were making one's way through the maze at Red Meadows area
and a bum ferry boat engine at Vermillion Valley resort.
(although be warned if you go to VVR - nice people - but it
is $2 a MINUTE to use their phone.) Sorry to say that there
was only one bear at LIttle Yosemite Valley campsite the
first night out and we didn't even see him. I expected the
whole trail to be much more crowded but once we left
Yosemite, we spend most nights alone. I could go on and on,
but I think you get the picture!

I also want to say thanks to all of you that answered my
questions about the JMT several months ago. You were all
very helpful!  In thinking about next year, what does
anyone know about Onion Valley?  The JMT books I have do
not talk about what is available there, but the maps show a
pack station and a campground.  Anyone know what the
campground is like?
I will definitely resupply there, as I don't care to carry
anymore days of food than necessary. I used Skip Wilder as
a shuttle driver. He picked us up at South Lakes and took
us all the way back to Fresno where we picked up the plane.
I will definitely use Skip again next year.

I also see that the books say that the Kearsage Pass Trail
is 9 miles long and the maps show it to be 7.7. I did find
most mileage information to differ a bit from the JMT guide
book to the data book. I finally decided that the maps were
most accurate and relied on them for mileage data. (as an
example I expected the Bishop Pass Trail to be longer than
it was...I felt it was closer to the 12.6 that the map
shows.) I guess I am just very tune with my hiking pace,
and so I like very accurate mileage!!

Happy Hiking Everyone,
Susan Faidley