From: Bighummel@aol.com [mailto:Bighummel@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 9:50 PM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Mount Whitney, The Zoo, a story...

--
My friends are flabbergasted that I haven't climbed Mt. Whitney with all of
the backpacking and climbing that I have done in the Sierras.  I explain
that
I go to the Sierras for the purpose of seclusion, peace, quiet and a near
spiritual communing with nature. For that reason I have never climbed Mt.
Whitney and may never and don't believe that I am really missing much.

Now Mt. Rainier is a mountain that is inspiring to climb even though it
isn't
"the highest peak in the contiguous U.S".  I suggest to all PCT aspiring
hikers to pass up Whitney and aim for Rainier.  You'll be in such incredible
shape by the time you reach Rainier that you can almost fly up it!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel