[pct-l] Re: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #600 - 9 msgs

Bears are a MAJOR problem north of Forester Pass right now.  The park
service and forest service are requiring Bear Proof Canisters for entry into
Kearsarge Pass (even if you are planning to use the bear boxes in the
Sequoia/Canyon backcountry).  I was up at Kearsarge just last week and,
by talking with hikers coming down from Kings Canyon, found out that
any hung food/trash/toilitries is garanteed to be lost to a bear (even at
high elevation).

Kings Canyon recently expanded its

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 9
> From: "Marshall Karon" <m.karon@attbi.com>
> To: "Kevin" <lists@irubin.com>, <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] JMT - PCT Questions
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:51:04 -0700
>
> The scenerey from the main trail over Kearsage Pass is one of the best of
> the hike. Take it slow once you reach the pass going down to the PCT.
The
> mountains seem to go on for ever.  I think you could go into the lakes
below
> the pass and then up to the pass, but don't miss the pass. I wouldn't do
> that - I'd stay up.
>
> I presume you are driving to the trailhead. If not, you may be able to get a
> lift up for a small fee from one of the motel owners (Courthouse Motel, I
> think).
>
> As I remember it going North, we left Whitney, climbed over Forester
Pass
> and camped just over the pass, then made it to Independence the next
day.
> So, depending on when you leave, I would count on one day over
Kearsage Pass
> (not really a bad climb) to the base of Forester (either side) and then
> another day to Crabtree Meadows/Guitar Lakes, then one day up to
Whitney and
> down to Whitney Portal. Spend extra time if you have it. Watch for bears
if
> you camp low. Watch for marmots at Guitar Lake and Whitney (like don't
leave
> food out or packs open).
>
> Marshall Karon
> Portland, OR