[pct-l] Re: Mount Whitney, The Zoo, a story...

Jeff,

I second your suggestion for doing Whitney from the West side. In early July,
I did the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to Whitney summit, then
returned via Kern/Kaweah Cyn, Roaring River, Deadman Cyn, Elizabeth Pass.

A fabulous 12 day backback, highly recommended. I added a side trip to Lake
South America and the upper Kern Cyn one day.

The beauty of this, besides no hordes and crowding, except maybe on the
summit mid-afternoon, is no lottery for permits! Just load and go, with no
"Whitney zone" stuff to worry about. Much too hot for Kern hot spring though!
Just a foot bath for me.

Best, Todd in Tarzana.