[pct-l] Rainy Pass to Manning Park Washington

Marge, David, et al - the Washington Trails Association's website provides a
sortable-by-region list of recent trail reports.  The reports from the
Glacier Pk area from July 15 to date seem to indicate that the snow's
melting off fast in warm temperatures.  It's probably reasonable to just
keep checking through the next couple of weeks.  The trail report link is
http://www.drizzle.com/~wta/cgi-bin/web10.pl?FreshReports+tr+fr+time+g
(this ought to produce a Glacier Pk area sort, but if it doesn't...just go
to the main page)

At this point, it's starting to look like poles, a lightweight ice axe, &
instep crampons just in case.  But in two weeks, who knows?  Then again, on
a cross-country Sierra hike between Bishop Pass (Lamark Col, actually) and
Paiute Pass, they were exceptionally useful on frozen snow shelves above
thawing lakes (near Alpine Pass, if I remember correctly).

Our (husband Chuck "Igor" & me) trip will either be a go or a no-go, because
we'll be on our way southwest after having done a short 4-day backpack in
Glacier NP.  But I'm looking forward to this section, if we can get there.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold