[pct-l] ALDHA Endangered Services Campaign

Solar Bear,

    I've no complaint with merchants making a profit on my purchases at their
store or anyone else's purchase.
What I object to is false advertising and merchants NOT keeping their side of
the transaction. The merchant needs to set
his terms and prices to make a profit, otherwise he will not last. Makes
no difference whether his customers are
thru hikers or not.

    I understand and share your concern about the impact of thru hikers on a
community. We also need to be concerned
about the impact of other backpackers on communities. Also those of us use to
relatively low prices in our urban area super stores
need to understand that the small store in the hinterland has to survive on
miniscule sales compared to the super stores, often the small
store pays much higher unit costs for its merchandise, and may have only part of
a year to be open and earn his living for the
whole year.  What this means is that high prices in the small hinterland stores
are usually justified and necessary.

    Years ago I stopped in a small store between Yellowstone and the Grand
Tetons NP. Mentioned to the owner something about
his prices being high and he told me that he had to make his sales and profit
between Memoridal Day and Labor Day, almost no business
the rest of the year.